8/6/10

Emma's First Day of Kindergarten

Well the day that I had been dreading all summer long finally arrived. Emma started school! The funny thing is that it wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was wonderful and we are both so excited about this school year.
We got to meet Emma's teacher the night before school started and we were so pleased. According to everyone I talk to we got the BEST teacher at her school. Her name is Mrs. McGuire and so far she seems like teacher perfection. She has been teaching for 10 years and in that time has become every parent's dream teacher. She is known to be very smart, compassionate, loving, fun, creative, and so much more. There are SEVERAL kindergarten classes and I feel so lucky that Emma is in Mrs. McGuire's! I cannot wait to see how the year unfolds!
All that being said the first day of school was a breeze. I was very relaxed after finally finding out who Emma would now be spending her days with. As we sat at the table eating breakfast before I took her to school she asked me NOT to take her to school. She said she wanted to ride the bus. Well, I am glad she was the eager to experience the bus, but that was NOT happening on her first day. I told her that it was my priviledge as a parent to take her to school on the first day of every school year. She was okay with that and we continued getting ready for school. Scott had agreed to stay home with Claire so that I could take Emma by myself.
Fast forward to the ride to school. As we approach the school I start talking to Emma about walking her to class. She then asks me to please not take her in and to just drop her off outside. I again state that it is my right as a parent to walk her to class AND take a picture of her. Emma was not happy with that. (She is truly more independent than I am comfortable with at this age.) So, after going back and forth several times we agree that she would indeed walk in alone, but I would be allowed to walk 20 steps behind her just in case she needed me. She also agreed on the picture once we got to her classroom.
And that is just what happened. After only being in her new school ONCE before, my Emma walked in, navigated her way to her hallway AND walked right up to her classroom. I was so proud. I know in my head that she could do it, but my heart begged for her to need me at that moment. Oh well. After a quick photo I left her behind with a new teacher, in a new school and I knew she would be just fine.
I picked her up that afternoon in the school carline. I saw her walking out with a big group of kids and as she headed to our van it was at that moment that I broke down and cried. I am so proud of my little kindergartener!!!




5 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Emma! I knew you would make the best kindergarten student! I just wish Aunt Jill had the experience of teaching you! How GREAT would that have been? You and your Dad to have the same teacher! He was very smart in school also! Aunt Jill wants you to let mommy have a little kindergarten fun too! As a kindergarten teacher, I loved for my parents to help in my classroom. So, please let mommy have that opportunity too! Love you very much! Aunt Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I love the Kindergarten Rocks shirt! Every student should have one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also so proud of you, Emma. I knew you would do great but it sure is great to hear everything went so well. You looked so cute and ready for school. Have a great year, study hard and make everyone proud. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe Emma is in Kindegarten! What a big, brave girl and I love to hear what a great big sister she is to Claire. It gives me hope for Jackson. :) Emma, have a great school year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom, you have taught her to be independent and she is. I know you are proud of her.
    Being a big girl is so much easier than if you had a cry baby on your hands.

    You go girl Em :)

    ReplyDelete